Once you’ve got printing process down, you’ll need a source for STL files. Here is a list of sources I have used myself.
I have listed these in order of which I have found the most useful.
Create Your Own:
- https://www.heroforge.com/ – Great resource for designing a miniature that fits your game character. They now offer the STL file to print yourself for $9.99.
- https://desktophero3d.com/ – Difficult interface to learn and quite buggy. There is a 2.0 Beta in the works, which is better but very limited.
Dedicated search engines that do not host STL files themselves, but allow you to search multiple sites from one platform. Sort of a Google for printable files.
Artists showcasing their work with low priced option for premium miniatures that you can print.
- https://www.patreon.com/ArtisanGuild/ – By far my favorite Patreon. High quality, detailed miniatures for a low monthly subscription rate. There is a reason they have thousands of Patrons. They do a great job of listening to their patrons and offering popular sculpts.
- https://www.patreon.com/titanforgeminis/ – Another of my favorites. They sell miniatures and games primarily, but have moved to printable miniatures on Patreon as well. Their past experience shows in their sculpts.
- https://www.patreon.com/ArchvillainGames/ – Visually striking sculpts, but seem to be limited on playable pieces. If you are just a collector or painter, you’ll likely enjoy their stuff. If you’re specifically looking for playable pieces, however, you might be disappointed.
- https://www.patreon.com/themakerscult/ – Another amazing creator. If you’re into Warhammer or just like that style of miniatures, this is the place to go. Great sculpts for the sci-fi enthusiast.
- https://www.patreon.com/HeroesInfinite/ – Great sculpts for D&D. Tiers available that include playable modules.
- https://www.patreon.com/gamescape3d/ – Primarily terrain and building pieces. I support this Patreon, because the work is phenomenal. My only criticism is that some of the buildings each month look very similar to previous months.
- https://www.patreon.com/rocketpiggames/ – Focused on supportless miniatures that print flat on the build plate. I mostly subscribe to this Patreon for the discounts. The miniatures that are included in the subscription seem to be the less popular sculpts, while the better sculpts are sold on their site and through their Kickstarter.
- https://www.patreon.com/raventwinminiatures/ – Awesome sculpts. Fairly new at the time I’m posting this. I love printing and displaying their stuff.
- https://www.patreon.com/ltminis – Very detailed miniatures with monthly STL packs for members. Quite fond of the models on this Patreon.
- https://www.patreon.com/M3DM/ – I find their miniatures to be hit or miss. Some of them are amazing, while others seem to be whatever can be rushed out. The tiers are very affordable though, so I would definitely recommend this one.
- https://www.patreon.com/gloomyKidMinis/ – Rather partial to this one, as it’s clear the artist is more interested in the art than the profit. Not a lot of sculpts yet, and most seem centered on World of Warcraft figures, but the quality is great and the tiers are low priced. Hopefully they pick up more patrons and grow.
I have stopped linking to Kickstarter campaigns, as they seem to be hit or miss. If you’re interested in large groups of files for a fixed price, it might be worth a look.
If you know of other sources, please comment below and I will try to add them to the list.